Barron County Marriage License

Marriage License Information

Welcome to the Barron County Clerk's Marriage License Information web page. If you are already married and want a copy of your marriage license, you need to contact the Register of Deeds office in the county in which you were married. If you are going to be married in Wisconsin, please read on...........

Where to Apply?

Wisconsin residents desiring to be married in Wisconsin must apply for the license at the County Clerk's office in the county where one of the applicants has been living for the last 30 days; the license will then be valid anywhere in Wisconsin.  Both parties must appear in person at the time of application at the County Clerk's Office.

If NEITHER party has lived in Wisconsin for the past 30 days, they must apply for the license at the County Clerk's office in the county where they intend to be married. 

When to Apply? 

There is a five-day waiting period, which starts the day AFTER application. The license is then valid for 30 days following the issuance date. A waiver of the 5 day waiting period can be granted for extenuating circumstances only, with prior approval. Please contact County Clerk to discuss waiver request at 715-537-6200.

Age Requirement: 

Applicants must be at least 16 years of age to marry in Wisconsin. Applicants under 18 years of age must have the written consent of both parents, or the guardian, the custodian as defined by law, or the parent having the actual care, custody and control of the person. The written consent must be given before the county clerk under oath, or certified in writing and verified by affidavit before a notary public or other official authorized to take affidavits.

Certified Birth Certificate: 

Applicants are required to show a certified birth certificate. Certified birth certificates are available from the Register of Deeds office in the County or State in which you were born.  A hospital record with footprints is not acceptable since it is not a legal document.  The State Notification of Birth Registration is also not acceptable since it is not a certified copy of the birth certificate.  Any birth certificiate in a language other than English must be translated. The translation must be provided by a professional translation service or by a person within the community who routinely provides translation services (example: a foreign language teacher or person working in a public assistance center). The translation cannot be done by the parties themselves or by a relative or friend of either party.

Proof of Address: 

Your current address is where you have actually lived for the past 30 days. A post office box is not acceptable. Acceptable proof would be a valid driver’s license, state or secondary school I.D.. If your I.D. does not have your current address on it, a recent utility bill, bank statement, lease, government document must validate your current physical address.

Social Security Number: 

Applicants must furnish their Social Security numbers in order to be issued a marriage license. It is not required that we see the social security card.

Previous Marriage: 

If either party has been married before, Wisconsin law requires the document of how the last marriage ended.  If by death, a certified death certificate is needed.  If by divorce, the JUDGEMENT of divorce signed by the judge is required. Wisconsin law prohibits marriage until six months have passed after divorce regardless of where the divorce took place. 


The fee for a marriage license in Barron County is $75.00.  This must be paid at the time of application by cash or check and is not refundable. We are not equipped to accept credit cards. The waiver fee is $25.00. Waivers are granted under extenuating circumstances only.

Additional Information: 

This information is also required on the application:

  • The date of the wedding 
  • The name, address, phone number and title of the officiant.  It is the couples responsibility to verify the legitimacy of the officiant they choose. If  a couple uses an out of state officiant, the officiant must possess, at the time of the marriage, a letter of sponsorship from a member of the clergy of the same religious denomination or society who has a church in this state under his or her ministry. See WI Statutes 765.16 and 765.17.  
  • Parents' full names (this includes the middle names and mothers' maiden name) 
  • The county and municipality in which you reside 
  • The county and municipality where the wedding will take place.